Sunday, October 12, 2008

On getting older...

When i was younger, I couldn't wait to be 16, cause then I could drive. Then you know i wanted to be an "adult" so 18 was the next age that I looked forward to. Then 21, then 25, so whats next? I realized today that I have always wanted to grow up as fast as I can, instead of just enjoying where I was at in life.

Then I thought about another thing. Even though I have enjoyed some of the benefits of getting older, getting older sucks. Not just the normal increases in responsibility and work, but more so the changing relationships with friends, and the different social interactions that you must take part in. Don't get me wrong, i enjoy where my life is at now, and wouldnt change it, but it's the other things that i missed along the way. I didnt stop to smell the roses. I wish i could have always lived life for that moment, instead of always looking in the future for my contentment. Oh well. I have it good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doesn't really sound like the boy I watched grow up. No one I know appeared to enjoy life more fully. You have had more "last hurrahs" and summer vacations than most, especially in the last 5 years. Remember, roses smell sweet but they also have thorns. Life is what you make it and God has been very gracious to you.

Seaner said...

I miss Travis.

Lindy PRD said...

Good thoughts. What are the roses you wish you smelled? I have a few of those.

bradencollins said...

I FEEL THE SAME WAY!!